Hello, my name is SHENG Dong (盛东). I am a Ph.D. student at the Sustainable Agricultural Systems & Engineering Lab, School of Engineering, Westlake University. My advisor is Dr. Thomas Cherico Wanger-Guerrero. I recieved my BSc degree at Zhejiang University in 2023, majoring in environmental sciences.
I am enthusiastic about using cutting-edge techniques and models to understand the interactions between human and nature, and build a more sustainable future. I have experiences with programming languages including Python, MATLAB, R, C/C++, etc., and used various engineering software including CAD, SolidWorks, SketchUp, etc.
Pollinators (e.g., Apidae) are vital to terrestrial ecosystems and agricultural production. However, there has been a global decrease in pollinators due to a cocktail of environmental pollution and climate change. Currently, I’m developing tools based on computer vision and artificial intelligence to monitor bumblebee behavioral changes under threated circumstances. This will provide a new and important aspect to understand how environmental pressures alter pollination services provided by bumblebees, and thereby threaten the ecosystem and food security.
As a beginner in the academic world, I’m also very open to new research projects where I could make full use of my various skills and knowledge across different domains.
Literature review on cocoa agroforestry definition. With Dr. Manuel Toledo-Hernández. Using AI-based cameras to monitor bat/insect activities. With Dr. Kevin F. A. Darras. Bioinformatics analysis on soil bacterial community structures. With Dr. Yili Huang.
September, 2023 - now | Ph.D. student at Sustainable Agricultural Systems & Engineering Lab, School of Engineering, Westlake University.
September, 2019 - June, 2023 | Bachelor student at Zhejiang University.
Major in environmental sciences, College of Environmental & Resource Sciences.
Overall GPA = 3.81/4.0.
- May, 2022 - August, 2023 | Visiting student at Sustainable Agricultural Systems & Engineering Lab, Westlake University.
- November, 2021 - September, 2022 | Bioinformatics analysis project (tutored by Dr. Yili Huang at Zhejiang University)
- July, 2021 - September, 2021 | Intern at the Department of Planning Researches, Zhejiang Ecology & Environment Design and Research Institute.
- June, 2021 - August, 2021 | Visiting student at University of California, Berkeley. (Summer session EPS-80, A-)
- May, 2023 | Participation in Cocoa Agroforestry in West and Central Africa: from Definition to Innovation and Implementation Pathways. MAK’IT, Université de Montpellier, France.
Sheng, D., Chen, M., Chen, Q., Huang, Y. (2022). Opposite selection effects of nZVI and PAHs on bacterial community composition revealed by universal and sphingomonads-specific 16SrRNA primers. Environmental Pollution, 311, 119893. DOI: 10.1016/j.envpol.2022.119893